Pigs are usually considered to be livestock. Whether it is a pet or a farm animal, USDA guidelines have to be followed. Potbellied pigs are not actually livestock, but USDA has protocols which need to be followed for the right move. International travel of pigs has become common in a few states and these rules are amended very often. It is your responsibility to look for the rules and regulations of the area in which you reside and decide about the most desirous ways to bring a pet from the long-distant breeders. Taking an example of the state of Virginia, USDA website will give you the information to bring or send the teacup pig from the particular state. You must adhere to the guidelines and check out the requirements put up on the USDA website to choose the ultimate solution.
Admission requirements
For example, the regulations in Virginia require the entry of the animals into the Commonwealth. If you bring an animal into Virginia, make sure that you tally them from the list of the animals permitted for transport. Whether the animals are being transported within the state or across the state lines, the laws should be read carefully. The animal admission requirements could be checked through the Office of Veterinary Services. The state of Virginia doesn’t make any difference between pet pigs, farm pigs, mini pigs or any other category. They all are pigs and hence, the laws remain the same for every type. Virginia regulations govern the entry of animals into the Commonwealth. There is an identification number noted for every pig on the CVI (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) or health certificate.
The pig coming from an area not free from brucellosis or pseudorabies, the pig will require the blood test to make sure that it is negative from the infections. Some states give detailed listing and regulations for the animals and others might be unclear about them. The best way to determine the same is to contact the state vet (written communication) and ask them about the particular queries in your mind. It requires time and efforts to get it done and your planning is mandatory to bring the pig from any other state or send the pig to some other place.
In case of any illegal transportation, there is a hefty fine charged for unfollowing the rules. If you are getting a new pig from outside the state without CVI, it will be a big risk. It is simple to get an appointment with the state vet and discuss your concerns or plans. There would be absolutely no issues if there are proper guidelines followed to transport the pig. Some states accept a very recent health certificate of the pet (less than 10 days old) and hence, it is essential to check with the destinate state regarding the laws. It is not worthy to take any decision without thinking twice about it. People might give you their opinion and suggestions as per their knowledge but it is important to do your own research because it could be really troublesome for the pet, receiver and the sender to face any awkward situation.

USDA Regulations for traveling of LiveStock